There have been quite a lot of things rushing through my mind these past few weeks. Time and life have been moving forward more quickly than ever (it seems to me). In the tumble and chaos of everything, I've forgotten to appreciate the little moments in life. So I've been working on that, and if you'll humor me, I want to share one with you!
After all, "Men are that they might have joy." -2 Nephi 2:25. I try to always remember that.
We stopped walking and I put my arms around him. While I rested I could feel his heart through both of our coats. I was amazed - I'd never felt a heart beat like that before. I took in the dark blue landscape of towering mountains on either side of us, and looked up at the sky. After the beauty of that place settled into my shivering bones, I set my head on his shoulder. He took in the smell of my hair, sighed, and held me closer. I heard the song "Set the Fire to the Third Bar" playing in my head. I just listened for a while, and breathed in the winter air; I felt alive, felt my lungs burning, my legs burning, felt free and beautiful despite how absurd I looked in his borrowed coat, and all the while felt his warmth radiating through me and felt his heart beating slowly and purposefully - a heart that maybe in that minute, beat with fond thoughts of me inside it. I felt safe, peaceful. I didn't want to be anywhere else in the world but with him in that canyon, freezing, burning, humbled, still, and wrapped in his warm arms.
It was new.
It was comfortable.
It was easy.
It was honest.
It was beautiful.
It might be a moment simple, silly, and all too fleeting, but it was mine. I don't think the moon was full, I didn't see the stars, and it may have been extremely ordinary to anyone else. He may not remember, he may never give it a second thought, but I'll always have that little slice of my life to remember, and I'll smile.




5 Responses to simple and silly
BEAUTIFUL. I miss late nights up the canyon. SO. much. Lovely writing. (And may I inquire after the "he"?)
beau.TIFUL. You are SUCH an amazing writer.
yes miss allie...who is this HE that you speak of? and when was this???? p.s. you're soooo stinkin awesome! love you!
I never told you but I am in love with this post.
This post was Gorgeous!
Post a Comment